Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate - Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho
Admission is competitive and enrollment is limited. Possession of the minimum requirements as listed here should not be viewed as a guarantee of admission.
Applicants who wish to be considered for admission to Western University on the basis of the Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate must submit the following:
Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate - Academic Program transcript issued in English.
Applicants may be considered for conditional admission on the basis of mid-year/mid-term results. Mid-year results and a secondary school transcript must be submitted directly to Western from the institutions attended. If you are issued a conditional offer of admission, you will be required to have your final official academic transcript sent directly from the proper issuing authority along with word-for-word English translations, to World Education Services (WES) Canada for authentication and verification.**
Copy of diploma issued in English by the institution attended certified by school principal, head, or counsellor. Notarized copies are not acceptable. If your documents are issued in a language other than English, you must also provide notarized literal English translations.
Proof of English language proficiency. Test results must be issued directly to Western from the Examining Board. Western's institution code is 0984. Please review Western’s English language proficiency requirements.
Refer to the content below for program specific required and recommended courses. Course prerequisites should be presented at the senior level:
An online portfolio and personal statement are required for admission consideration to this program.
Note: Students considering the Honors Specialization in Health Sciences with Biology will need Grade 12 Chemistry in order to fulfill the first year Chemistry requirements of the module.
▪ A Grade 12 Math and Grade 11 or 12 Physics are recommended to prepare for senior Kinesiology subjects in biomechanics, research methods, and statistics.
▪ It is strongly recommended that students interested in the BSc program take Grade 12 Science courses such as: Chemistry, Calculus, Pre-Calculus Math, or Physics.
▪ Grade 12 Chemistry is a prerequisite for first year Chemistry courses.
Note: For Management & Organizational Studies a Grade 12 Calculus and/or a university Calculus course is required prior to taking mandatory upper-year Economics courses in Finance, and pursuing a Major or Honors Specialization in Economics.
A mandatory Supplementary Application form is required by February 15.
For the Flight Option of this program, a valid Transport Canada Category 1 Medical Certificate is required before flight training can begin; two hours of small aircraft flying time is strongly recommended.
▪ First year Biology and Chemistry courses require Grade 12 Biology and Chemistry, respectively. First year Biology and Chemistry courses are required for ALL modules offered in the Bachelor of Medical Sciences and Neurosciences programs.
▪ Although Western offers first year Physics courses that do not require Grade 12 Physics as a prerequisite, it is strongly recommended that you complete Grade 12 Physics.
Faculty recommendation required based on Audition, Interview, Piano Proficiency and Theory Placement results.
Note: A senior level math course is recommended for applicants to Music Administrative Studies.
▪ First year Biology and Chemistry courses require Grade 12 Biology and Chemistry, respectively. First year Biology and Chemistry courses are required for ALL modules offered by the Department of Biology and for some modules offered by the Department of Chemistry and other Science departments.
▪ It is strongly recommended that applicants complete a Grade 12 math course.
▪ All Specializations and Majors in Psychology requires a first-year university Math course, therefore any Grade 12 level academic Math is highly recommended for this program.
▪ Math is helpful as preparation for Sociology and Geography programs.
▪ A Grade 12 Pre-Calculus Math and a Grade 12 Calculus (equivalent to Ontario Grade 12 Advanced Functions and Grade 12 Calculus) are required for all Economics modules.
▪ Grade 12 Biology, Chemistry, and Physics are highly recommended for the BSc in Psychology.
** Western University reserves the right to cancel your application, withdraw a final offer of admission or revoke registration if there is a discrepancy between the documents originally submitted and the official final (updated) results submitted to WES for authentication and verification.